There has been yet more recognition for City’s all-conquering women’s team with the announcement of the 2017 PFA Team of the Year.
Announced ahead of the 44th PFA Awards to be held in the Grosvenor House in London on Sunday April 23 2017, City Women have five of the 11 places available after their fellow professionals again recognised the Blues’ achievements over the past 12 months.
Lucy Bronze, Steph Houghton, Jill Scott, Jenny Beattie and Jane Ross make up the Blues’ quintet with the news coming hot on the heels of last week’s individual nominations that saw six Manchester City Women nominated in the Player of the Year and Young Player of the Year categories.
PFA Members from 100 clubs (Premier League, Football League and WSL) have been voting and the PFA WSL Team of the Year in association with Sodexo is as follows.
· Goalkeeper - Mary Earps (Reading FC Women)
· Defender - Lucy Bronze (Manchester City Women)
· Defender - Jenny Beattie (Manchester City Women)
· Defender - Steph Houghton (Manchester City Women)
· Defender - Jess Carter (Birmingham City Ladies)
· Midfielder - Karen Carney (Chelsea Ladies)
· Midfielder - Jill Scott (Manchester City Women)
· Midfielder - Jordan Nobbs (Arsenal Ladies)
· Midfielder - Caroline Weir (Liverpool Ladies)
· Forward - Jane Ross (Manchester City Women)
· Forward - Eniola Aluko (Chelsea Ladies)
PFA Chief Executive, Gordon Taylor OBE: “The PFA Awards is always a special occasion and one of the biggest nights in football’s social calendar.
“For the winners who are honoured at the awards, there can be no greater personal accolade than that of being recognised by your peers; an honour to be cherished.”
Congratulations to all our nominated players from everybody at the Club.